Friday, January 23, 2009

Winter From My Window



Good Morning Bloggers,

I used to like winter a lot more than I do now, but I have noticed that I take great pleasure in looking out the window to see what is going on in my world. A window can provide great insight, even when it seems as if nothing much is happening.

Yesterday I looked out across the back yard and saw a huge squirrel sitting on a stump. The squirrels in my yard are enormous due to a grandfather of a pecan tree that provides them with nourishment all year long. They are so bold in the summertime in fact, they chew on the green nuts and then pitch them at me. Needless to say, I am not very fond of the pesky little critters.

The west side of my house is sheltered by a huge overgrown hedge composed of yew, boxwood and some really shaggy privit trees. Yes, if left to their own devices, privit will grow up to be unruly trees. I don't much like them either, but this fantastic hedge keeps my house cooler in the summer and provides habitat and food for a large variety of birds that dine on the pepper-like berries of the privit. I understand a previous neighbor hated the hedge, but I like it. I like it way more than the danged squirrels!

Windows are great focal points for my imagination, giving me a screen on which to paint my next opus. (I can only stay at the computer for so long, and am in the throes of writing a four-book series based in rural Maryland.) A psychic once told me that the spirits come to talk with me, and that may be so. I certainly find my characters in odd places, and when they arrive, they always have stories to tell. I fancy they may even find me by looking in my windows!

One window in my house is still a source of fascination since it is the home of a small bat. Last week the weather was frigid and the little fella wound itself up into a tiny package and did not move for days. Yesterday was warmer, and Bert (I had to give him/her a name) had stretched out the little arms and legs to soak up any heat it could gather from the atmosphere. I can't figure out what the tiny thing eats, and I worry, but I do feel special to be singled out by a creature I surely would never have encountered otherwise.

As you can see, winter windows are the source of endless entertainment. I hope yours do the same for you. Who knows, you may even find yourself on the sunny side. Terry

Terry L White -Author of the Chesapeake Heritage Series
"Travel Through Time With Terry"
http://www.terrylwhitesblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.