Friday, January 30, 2009

Eagles Nesting



Good Day Bloggers,

I thought that I would mention Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge today because Dorchester County on the Eastern Shore of Maryland is the home of one of the largest populations of nestin pairs of American Bald Eagles in the country.

It is hard to believe, but February is the time or year when our national bird lay their eggs and wait for the chicks to emerge. It is not terribly cold her in Maryland, for the temperatures rarely fall below zero, but I wouldn't want to be sitting on a bunch of broken twigs waiting for my babies to be born. Here is a link if you would like to watch the eagles and their chicks. I find it fasciating to check in there from time to time to see how the babies are doing:
http://www.friendsofblackwater.org/camhtm2.html

The bald eagle is a big bird, and I was amazed when I went in the Visitor's Center at Blackwater and saw one of these magnificient birds that had been taxidermied to illustrate the size of this bird and its nest, which was more than six feet across! Eagles feed on small animals and fish found in the marshy environment at Blackwater and I have the opportunity to see these huge birds feeding as I drove on the roads that ride the dryest portions of marshland on my way to the islands of Dorchester County.

What a privilege it is to see these beautiful birds in the wild. If you like eagles, pay a visit to the refuge, you won't be disappointed.

I hope you have a wonderful day you'll. Keep on the sunny side! Terry

Terry L White -Author of the Chesapeake Heritage Series
"Travel Through Time With Terry"
http://www.terrylwhitesblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.