Sunday, January 18, 2009

Fear of Thorns

Greetings Bloggers,

Many moons ago when a writing career was an impossible dream for me, I was be riding down NY 29, a winding country road between Johnstown NY, and Saratoga Springs. Can't remember why I was on this particular road, but I was, and I happened to notice some very interesting graffiti painted on an abutment situated right at the elbow of sharp turn. I expect the source of this folk wisdom was Skidmore College, which later became my alma mater.

The retaining wall was painted with a giant rose, and the legend: "Let not the fear of thorns keep you from the rose." At that time, I was between toxic relationships, wondering what on earth I was going to do with my life - and I was already tinkering with a novel, The Picker. I always knew I wanted to be a writer, but I did not know that I could be one!

Every time I passed that abutment, I saw that rose and read the message, and somewhere in the depths of my soul I began to understand that all things are possible if one is willing to brave the journey. Eventually, I applied to Skidmore, was accepted and graduated, braving thorns all the way. My advisor recommended I explore the benefits of experiencing the International Women's Writing Guild conference held at the college each summer and one thing followed the other - with the help of the Guild, I became the published author I always believed I could be.

Today, I have published more than a dozen books - all ebooks, some in print. I still have to figure out how to get noticed in the larger sense, but I believe that will come in time. In the meantime, if you like my blogs, perhaps you will also like my novels, which can be found at http://www.writewordsing.com/, Amazon.com, Fictionwise, All Romance Ebooks, Mobipocket, Kindle and more.

After that, I would say to you, don't let the fear of thorns keep you from your own rose, and keep on the sunny side. Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.