Tuesday, March 31, 2009

In Praise of Spring




Hello Bloggers,

I don't know about you, but I am so glad it is spring. I am tired of layers, heaters roaring and the grey, sad landscapes of winter. I know winter can't be helped because the land needs a rest, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I mean, hey! Look around out there. There are all sorts of green things poking their heads in yards and flour beds. I love daffodils and tulips and I adore iris. My back yard must have been planted eons ago because the enormous pecan tree is surrounded by lilies that bloom shortly after spring comes to call.

I never did find these particular lilies in the seed catalogs, but a book about colonial gardens tells me the beautiful blooms, that come in pink, blue and white, are called squill. Odd name, but the yard looks like a Thomas Kincaid painting when they bloom! I can't wait for the squill to bloom.

Another clue my garden survives from another time is the unruly hedge composed of yew and boxwood, neither of which bloom. The hedge, however, located on the west side of the house, keeps the building cool on the hottest summer days and provides habitat for all sorts of birds - from the raucus jays to finches and wrens.

Don't mention the squirrels. They breed like the rodents they are and chew holes in my eaves and raise their young in my attic. Don't like them. Period.

Other than that, I love spring, even if it does keep me busy picking up branches, cutting back bushes and shrubs and mowing my bit of lawn. What a gift I have been given to have custody of this beautiful old yard for a while. It sure makes me want to keep on the sunny side. Terry

PS: Look for my books at www.writewordsinc.com, www.ebooksonthe.net, Kindle, Amazon.com, Booksurge, Fictionwise, All Romance E-books and more. Happy reading!

Terry L White -Author of the Chesapeake Heritage Series
"Travel Through Time With Terry"
http://www.terrylwhitesblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.