Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Writing a Series


Hello Bloggers,

Today I would like to say a word about writing a book series. My first effort, The Bride of the Condor series, was an accident. My first draft of the story of Qwana, last priestess of the Moon Goddess, was far too long. Back in the day, publishers called a book that long a doorstop. I used to love those wonderful stories that went on for pages and pages. An awareness of resources and the lack of reader time made that sort of publishing unrewarding, so my publisher (who was doing e-books at the time) suggested I divide the books up into sections.

All I had to do was to try to divide the book into three somewhat equal parts and to create transitions between those parts so that people would want to come back and read the next installment. She says I done good. Perhaps.

The next thing I knew she had read Chesapeake Harvest, my novel set in colonial Maryland on the peninsula known as the Eastern Shore. I thought I was finished with the Chesapeake, and three books later, I again hope I am finished with that series. Unlike Sue Grafton, who pursued her mysteries throughout the entire alphabet (!) I can't seem to think of plots for too many books all set in the same place. At any rate, I have finished the fourth book in the Chesapeake series, bringing the women in one family out of the Civil War and into a world without slavery. Enough history for now, I said!

So what happened next? I am afraid to say, but it has to do with another series. I am not going to reveal any more, because I may never get past the first book, but I will let you know if I can push past my own aversion for a set of books with one theme and pen the next and next and next books. Wish me luck.

. . . and keep on the sunny side! Terry

Terry L White -Author of the Chesapeake Heritage Series
"Travel Through Time With Terry"
http://www.terrylwhitesblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.