Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Waterview Home

Howdy Bloggers,

Five years ago I stepped off the edge of the real estate cliff and purchased a home of my own. This might not feel like such a big deal to some people, but it was really important for me. I found my waterview home after only a year and a half of searching.

It was on a different side of the same block as my apartment, and offered at a price people can't believe. I slid under the gate as the boom arrived and the rest of the neighborhood was bought up by speculators. As a single woman, I had no idea what the heck I was doing. Whew!

To date, I have had most of the interior painted twice and accessed a grant program that helped me deal with the leaky windows and the holes in the floor. The siding has been repaired and the trim painted so that the house looks crisp and clean. There are still a lot of things I would like to do, but I am glad I took a friend's advice and didn't do anything at all for a year.

We learn to live with some of the flaws in our home sweet homes. And we learn to appreciate the good things: like the deep, shaded back yard that offers habitat to many species of birds and an enormous population of squirrels who eat everything I plant - and my porch with a water view.

The house is only four blocks from the Choptank River. The river, nearly two miles wide at Cambridge, sets the tone for the city where out-of-towners moor their boats and dream of retirement homes. That makes it a waterview home. I love it for it is surely on the sunny side, despite all its flaws. Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.