Sunday, November 23, 2008

Life's Harvest


Good Sunday Morning,
Winter is on the way, and it seems to be really early this year. I am not sure what that means -- except I will be really tired of sweaters by the time it is all over. The good part is that the year has provided a wonderful harvest.
This year's harvest has been especially good. In addition to having a lot of work done on my working class Victorian home, I wrote a three-book series. Each of the books is set on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, sometimes known as the Delmarva Peninsula. It is a different sort of place, surrounded by water, and host to some of the kindest people I have ever met on my long journey to find a home. How I came to write a series about colonial Maryland is a mystery - like most of my books.
I just woke up one morning and started writing; when the first book was done Arline Chase, publisher of www.ebooksonthe.net suggested I might do well to think about doing a series. Well, I said I couldn't. Then I thought, maybe. And then I did. In fact, I have started a fourth book in the series carrying the story of one family through the Civil War. Somehow the strong women who are the heroines in my books have managed to tell their stories through me, and I find the work both compelling and satisfying. In fact, I can't wait to find out what is going to happen next.
Yesterday I discussed the writing lessons Stephen King offers in his book On Writing. Mr. King echoes the great writers through time who knew without doubt that the book is in charge. I get it. Maybe that is why I am able to turn out all these wonderful tales of courage and determination. I am so glad they gave me windows into their world and that I was able to bring away their life stories for you to share.
When you think about it, it is a glorious harvest indeed.
Keep on the sunny side.
Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.