Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Porching Revisited


Hey Bloggers,

Yesterday I posted an essay about the great American porch and its role in society. Today, Good Morning American did a bit on porching.

Talk about synchronicity. You just don't see people talking about porching that much any more... then all of a sudden the universe hiccoughs and there are porches everywhere.

Like I said, I love my porch. It becomes an extension of my living space every summer, giving me a break from the den where I write all winter long. Don't get me wrong, I am still writing. I just like to enjoy the sunshine and neighbors as much as I can.

The porch also gives me a place to give my houseplants a break from the long winter months in the sunniest windows I can find. I think they like it a lot better outdoors because they grow and gain in beauty every day.

It was neat that Good Morning America recognized the American porch. It just shows that people in this country are going back to the old days when people sat on porches and exchange greetings with their neighbors. They didn't need electricty to keep cool, there were always the peninsula breezes that make the Eastern Shore so pleasant.

If you have a porch, I do hope you use it. It is a wonderful way to keep on the sunny side. Terry

Terry L White -Author of the Chesapeake Heritage Series
"Travel Through Time With Terry"
http://www.terrylwhitesblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.