Monday, April 27, 2009

To Porch or Not To Porch



Yesterday spring arrived. The sun was shining and it got so hot upstairs I had to open some windows to let in the fresh air and a little pollen.

In case you didn't know, porch is a verb here on the Eastern Shore. People porch. They sit outside and talk, they visit with passers-by, they enjoy the birds and bees and the neighbor's cat.

I love to porch. There is nothing like sitting outside with my morning coffee and a good book. The sun works wonders on my skin.I feel better when the sun gets into my bones.

I know, we aren't supposed to tan these days, but in the words of an old friend, "You're going to look damned stupid if you get to the Pearly Gates and find out you died of nothin'."

I like that. I want to be like the woman in that poem who would have danced more if she had know how life would end. She would have eaten more ice cream and worn extravagant hats. That's me. I want it all.

So. Spring is here and the porch is waiting. There is nothing like porching - alone or with a friend. So, take time to sit on your own porch if you have one, or go find a friend on her porch. There's nothing like it for staying on the sunny side. Terry

Terry L White -Author of the Chesapeake Heritage Series
"Travel Through Time With Terry"
http://www.terrylwhitesblog.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.