Thursday, January 19, 2012

Happy Whaaaaa???




WOW! Today is my birthday and I already have 50 greetings on Facebook before 10 o'clock (and a cake from Elliott Island!) Every decade or so one gets to experience a really outstanding birthday, and I have a feeling this is going to be one of them.

Yesterday I attended a meeting about creating tourism opportunities for Dorchester County as we enter a world that needs new solutions to old problems. Turns out Dorchester has to blow its own horn. It already has all the ingredients for day trippin' in a season where fuel use is a factor in how people spend their leisure.

As a pre-baby boomer I am now in the position to sit down and wait for the grim reaper, travel around in an RV as big as a house, or lie about my age and buy a red car. Any one of these things will keep me busy for a little while. But what is left to hold me until the end?

Suddenly the world is populated by jillions of folks who are sliding, slipping, squeaking, and stampeding our their old age. I know people like to call these their golden years, but some of us never had any gold to compare them to.

So what is going to happen to us? It is pretty clear the Social Security nirvana we were promised as adults turned out to be another urban legend. Many of us have retired from commercial work and find ourselves with scads of time on our hands and holes in our bank accounts. Some of the guys putter in their shops, the women take their granddaughters to the beauty parlor. Lots of people volunteer - doing their old job for free. But what about when you get to be really old? What will keep you interested in life?

Some folks enjoy poor health while others are getting around to the profession they always wanted to enjoy with an new significant other. I have an idea that choosing something difficult to learn may be the key to a good old age. Who wants to die with things undone, anyway?

I'll tell you a secret. All I ever wanted to do was to write, and if I get a birthday wish today, I would like to ask that my work is noticed and provides me with a comfortable decline and enough income to enjoy the view. If you would like to give me a present go to Amazon.com or Kindle and type in my name: Terry L. White

Special Thanks to my fans who stay up all night to find out what is going to happen next.

In the meantime, friends are coming to call today, there will be a dinner out on Friday and who knows what on the weekend. I am so blessed to have landed in this place where people are nice and they know a famous author when they see one. I have a feeling I am going to be walking on the sunny side today and I hope you do too.

One more thing: Thanks to the folks who read into the small hours just to find out what happens next. You rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.