Monday, May 30, 2011

In Memory



Tomorrow is Memorial Day, which evokes many memories from my childhood when all the men were soldiers and every life was a picnic. It is funny, most of those old soldiers are gone, but their memory lingers.

The other day I took some of my handmade dolls downtown to place in Hunt Insurance's office window along with art by a number of members of the Wednesday Morning Artists. The group meets each Wednesday (naturally!) to discuss the arts and to find ways to celebrate the talents we have been given. The window display turned out to be really beautiful and if you haven't seen it yet, I urge you to stop by next time you visit downtown Cambridge. Jim Duffy and the Main Street Committee are really making a wonderful change for Cambridge!

As such, I always try to celebrate on the holiday, and today I am not only flying the flag over my porch, I also have my brother's service flag, earned with 20 years of service in the US Navy in that flag case that makes a place to display my patriotic doll. (I sent him an email as he lives in Rapid City!)

I hope everyone who reads this takes a moment to think of the soldiers who have helped keep America safe. We salute you!

PS: Have a great day, a great picnic and keep on the sunny side! Terry

FLY YOUR FLAG!

I learned to love holidays
From my father
Who loved a party
For any small reason.

The Fourth of July
Is special to me,
Maybe because I love
Our beautiful flag.

Red, white, and blue
Raise my heartbeat
When I see a house
Decked out for the day.

I know who sewed
That first banner,
We have a cherished
Legend ready-made!

But who told Betsy
Where to place the
Stars and stripes?
Was it George? Or…

Did someone else
Stop at her door to
Order a flag so able
To tell our humble history?

I like to think God
Had a hand in the
Design of red and white,
The field of blue.

If you have a flag
It should fly today,
But even more
On the third, or the fifth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.