Friday, May 14, 2010

Chair - ity!


In July, the Main Street Gallery will present "Chair-ity", a gallery show devoted to chairs. Proceeds from the sale of chair art will benefit local charities!

Yes, we know that chair-ity is not spelled properly, but it is all for a good cause. The Main Street Gallery was kicked off with some funding from the national Main Street initiative, but that prop is about to be kicked out from under the new gallery in town.

It took me a couple of months to think what to do with a chair, because I am much more comfortable with words than with three-dimensional objects. However, I had an extra chair up in my bedroom and I decided I could do something with it - if I could only think of it.

It took me a couple of months to realize I couldn't think of anything! Then one day I was clearing out some of the piles in my office/studio when I came across a seed catalog. The beautiful, gorgeous photos of flowers were so darned pretty I hesitated at the though of throwing it away.

But wait! I could graft the flowers to the chair and add a fancy lace seat and I would have a chair worth chair-ity! At least I hope so.

My goal in participating in the Main Street Gallery shows is two-fold. First, I try to make the art adhere to the various themes for the semi-monthly gallery shows. Second, I try to use things in the art that I already have.

The flowers-forever chair fit both of those criteria! Yay!

Did I mention that the chair art will be auctioned for chair-ity? Yep. So if you like the flowers/forever chair, save your pennies. You might win it at the auction!d

I have been working on the chair for the better part of three days, with a couple of days more to go as I finish pasting on the flowers and then seal the whole with polyurathene varnish. Stinky stuff, that, but I'm game.

It is for chair-ity after all. The chair-ity gallery will open on June 30, so mark your calendar to come out and see all the wonderful chair art local artists have produced. Do that, and keep on the sunny side! Terry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post comments that advertise your blog or business. Do not post comments as 'anonymous.' Comments must be accompanied by a name.